By: Lindsay Chandler, PCOS Food Advocate
One of my favorite fruits to find in the market during the holiday season is pomegranates. They are tart and tangy, crunchy and juicy, and have just the slightest sweetness. I like to add them like little jewels on top of salads or roasted veggies.
Pomegranates are also considered a symbol of fertility and prosperity in some countries.
They offer fiber, vitamins, and can have a positive effect on hormone balance and insulin levels. Pomegranates can be found in the fruit section of your market or already seeded in the cooler section of your produce department. Other alternatives to the fresh seeds of the fruit are pomegranate juice (make sure it’s made from 100% pomegranates) or pomegranate extract.
Here are some fun ways to incorporate pomegranate into your diet:
- Mix up a mocktail using pomegranate juice, lime juice, and sparkling water.
- Sprinkle pomegranate seeds, walnuts and sliced avocado on top of fresh greens.
- Use pomegranate seeds as a sweet contrast to savory roasted veggies.
- Include pomegranate juice in your homemade salad dressings
- Use a splash of pomegranate juice in your morning smoothie
- Use pomegranate juice in place of red wine in soups and stews.
You may feel discouraged even before you get started trying to de-seed a pomegranate but here is my favorite method for removing all of those delicious little seeds!
- Score your pomegranate in half through the middle. Cut far enough in but not too far that you pierce the seeds inside.
- Gently separate the two sides.
- Submerge one half of the pomegranate, seed side down, into a bowl of water and gently pull back on the skin. This should loosen the seeds.
- Take the back of a wooden spoon and tap (or thwack) out all the seeds into your bowl.
- Once you have gotten all the seeds out, drain your bowl and add to your favorite dishes.
Incorporating these sweet little seeds into your holiday dishes are so fun and festive. What new ways will you try pomegranate this season?
Wondering if the symptoms you are suffering with could be PCOS?
Click here to take the PCOS test.
- Take the PCOS Quiz! Get your score and assess your hormone health risks.
- Join our Facebook Sisterhood Group Pose your questions to this group of like-minded women. Get the answers to your questions and the support you need.
- Checkout the Hormone Reset. Guided Practices to eliminate anxiety, lose weight and boost energy.
We are committed to helping women reverse their symptoms of hormone imbalance – a major cause of excess weight gain, adult acne, unwanted facial hair, depression, anxiety, and heartbreaking female infertility.
©Insulite Health empowers women with hormone imbalance to transform their lives through a process of healing with the Natural Hormone Solution –a complete solution for helping women reverse the symptoms hormone imbalance..