Welcome to another Food Friday! Here is delicious meal idea that is super healthy.
This weeks PCOS – Friendly recipe is: Roasted Fall Vegetables with Lentils
Ingredients to Serves 4
- 1/2 pound carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 small acorn squash, halved, seeds removed, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dried French green lentils, rinsed
- 1 shallot, halved
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced, plus leaves
*Always use organic and unsweetened ingredients whenever possible. Make sure you cut all the vegetables to about the same size for even roasting.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. On two baking sheets, arrange carrots, onion, and squash; drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast, turning once, until caramelized and tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place lentils and shallot in a medium saucepan and cover with water by two inches. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain; discard shallot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine vinegar and mustard. Pour remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a slow steady stream, whisking constantly. Toss lentils and celery with vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper. Spoon over roasted vegetables. Garnish with celery leaves.
Lentils are a great source of protein and fiber. They are a healthy carb that pairs well with either meat or fish. The roasted veggies in the dish are a wonderful seasonal side to any meal.
Save this recipe as it’s part of the “Food as Medicine” element in the PCOS 5-Element System. Wishing you a delicious weekend!
Are you suffering from symptoms of PCOS? Take the PCOS Test and find out!