Welcome to Food Friday! This week’s PCOS Friendly recipe is: Mexican Inspired Green Soup with Chicken Chorizo Meatballs (Paleo)
Active Time: 25 m
Total Time: 45 m
For the meatballs:
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 pound chorizo
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat, or coconut oil
For the soup:
- 4 zucchinis
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 poblano peppers, or other mild green peppers
- 1 serrano pepper, optional
- 1 bunch kale
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat, or coconut oil
- 3 pints chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt, or to taste
How To Prepare:
- In a bowl, combine ground chicken, chorizo, egg, and sea salt by hand until uniform. Form the meat mixture into small cherry sized meatballs. In a large pan over medium high heat, melt the bacon fat or coconut oil until shimmering. Lightly brown the meatballs in small batches. When they are just cooked through (but not over-cooked) transfer to a plate.
- Seed and chop zucchini into 1/4 inch cubes. Mince the onion and garlic. Char and peel the peppers and serrano chile. (Remember to wear gloves when working with chiles.) Chop the kale finely. Chop the cilantro. Juice the limes.
- Heat the fat in a large soup pot, add the zucchini, onion, and garlic and cook for a few minutes, until soft but not browned. Remove from the skillet and blend using an immersion blender or standard blender until mostly smooth. Add the pureed zucchini and cook over high heat for about three minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken stock, roasted green and serrano pepper and simmer for a few minutes. Add the kale it turns bright green (about a minute). Add the cilantro (reserve some for garnish). With an immersion blender (or in small batches in a standing blender), puree the soup until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Place meatballs in the soup and add salt and half of the lime juice. Add more salt and lime to taste to really make the flavors pop. Serve with remaining cilantro as garnish.
This recipe fits perfectly with Element #2, Food As Medicine, of our PCOS-5 Element System. Wishing you a delicious weekend!
Wondering if the symptoms you are suffering with could be PCOS?
If you’re not sure, click here to take the PCOS test