This week we’re making some yummy PCOS-friendly Eggs Benedict because breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And to keep our hormones balanced, we need to have a healthy protein, fat and carbohydrate at every meal.
Eggs are a terrific food. And poaching the eggs is a great way to cook them because the yolk remains intact, not allowing oxidation to occur.
Eggs (the yolks in particular) contain the highest amount of lecithin or phosphatidylcholine, of any food. Lecithin helps us to metabolize our fats, helps to protect against fatty liver disease and plays an important role in brain formation, sleep, memory and learning. It might also help with weight loss as it breaks down fat into smaller molecules.
The egg yolk is full of other nutrients like vitamins A, D, E, K, carotenoids, lutein, zeaxanthin, calcium, iron, zinc, phosphorus, thiamin, folate, B6, B12 and many more. The egg white is mostly protein with very few nutrients.
What makes eggs benedict so tricky is the sauce. But mine is easy and delicious, and you’ll be surprised at what I put the eggs on!
Robin’s Eggs Benedict Recipe
- 2 – 3 cage free, organic eggs
- 2 tbls Raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise (Hain or Avocado Oil)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- Handful of raw spinach
- Smoked salmon or canadian bacon (1 piece)
- Fill a wide pan with about 4 inches of water.
- Add apple cider vinegar and bring to a simmer.
- Turn down the heat and add the eggs one at at time (if the water is simmering or boiling when you add the eggs, the whites will break into many pieces – so make sure the water isn’t boiling).
- Make sure the eggs are covered with water – you can take a spoon and spoon the hot water over the yolks if they are not completely covered.
- While the eggs are cooking make the Hollandaise sauce. In a small bowl, add the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and dijon mustard.
- Using a small whisk, blend it up into a rich sauce. Taste it to see if you like it. Adjust as needed so you love it.
- Then fill a shallow bowl with a handful of spinach.
- On top of that put a warmed piece of Canadian bacon or smoked salmon.
- When the eggs are done how you like them (about 4 minutes for runny – more like 6 minutes for hard yolks), lift them out gently with a slotted spoon or spatula and place them on your salmon or bacon.
- Drizzle some of your Hollandaise sauce and top with a few capers.
Your whole day will be happy when you begin it with this breakfast! And you may even want it for dinner, which is just fine. Whatever meal you make it for, it will nourish you.
Your to-do this week? Make Eggs Benedict, the hormone-balancing way.
- Take the PCOS Quiz! Get your score and assess your hormone health risks.
- Join our Facebook Sisterhood Group Pose your questions to this group of like-minded women. Get the answers to your questions and the support you need.
- Checkout the Hormone Reset. Guided Practices to eliminate anxiety, lose weight and boost energy.
We are committed to helping women reverse their symptoms of hormone imbalance – a major cause of excess weight gain, adult acne, unwanted facial hair, depression, anxiety, and heartbreaking female infertility.
©Insulite Health empowers women with hormone imbalance to transform their lives through a process of healing with the Natural Hormone Solution –a complete solution for helping women reverse the symptoms hormone imbalance..