By: Lindsay Chandler, PCOS Food Advocate
I’m sure if you are like me, your first step to a healthier lifestyle and hormone balance was to take a look at the types of foods you are eating. Making big changes in terms of food choices can go a long way when dealing with symptoms of PCOS. Over time, choosing healthier foods to support your body will offer tons of benefits along with the reduction of PCOS symptoms and hormonal harmony. But did you know, some of the containers we use for food storage – water drinking and cooking – can still make a huge impact on how our endocrine system functions.
Endocrine disrupting chemicals, or EDC’s, can be found just about everywhere! It can be found in the food you eat to the chair you are sitting in right now. But what are EDC’s? They are synthetic man made chemicals that cause hormone imbalance in the body. Once inside the body, EDC’s can be read by our receptor glands – like our thyroid and ovaries – as hormones causing insulin spikes and insulin resistance. These are huge factors for women dealing with PCOS and it has been found that women with PCOS are much more sensitive to these EDC’s than women without PCOS. Even though there are a lot of places we find EDC’s, and so many changes we can make to help reduce our exposure to EDC’s, here are 5 simple changes you can make today to help maintain hormonal harmony in your beautiful body!
Here are some simple swaps you can make to dramatically reduce EDC’s:
- Never microwave plastic. By switching out your typical plastic tupperware to glass, you can reduce BPA exposure when reheating food in a microwave (we strongly suggest reheating on a stovetop instead).
- Invest in reusable water containers. Glass or stainless steal reusable containers are a great choice.
- Reduce the use of tinfoil and resealable plastic bags. Purchase unbleached parchment paper for baking and bees wax reusable storage covers and wraps. Use mason jars or other glass containers for storage.
- Limit use of canned items – opt for fresh, frozen, or dried. Most cans are lined with BPA and if the label states BPA free it is lined with a different chemical for the same purpose.
- Eat organic when possible and make selections from the “Clean 15” list when organic isn’t available.
Making these small changes daily will greatly reduce your exposure to EDC’s. This can help improve PCOS symptoms and improve how you look and feel! I know that once I became more aware of the types of food storage containers I was using it made it so much more easier for me to prepare for a healthy day! Below I have listed a few additional changes that can help improve the EDC levels in your home.
Here are a few additional steps to remove EDC’s from your home :
- Filter your water; tap water can contain tons of chemicals that aren’t great for hormone balance.
- Make your own household cleaners using baking soda, vinegar, and essential oils.
- Switch out your hand soaps to glass refillable jars with unscented, and antibacterial free, hand soaps. Watch for other chemicals? and learn more about your soap on EWG.org
- Rate your cosmetics on EWG’s website.
- Dust and vacuum your home often; many household items contain chemicals that can scatter around your home.
Taking great care of your body is so important. Eating well, getting enough sleep, and taking your Insulite nutrients are key components for overall health. Now you have a few more tools to help improve some environmental factors that can be causing hormonal imbalance as well; what changes will you make?
Feel better fast in just 7 days with my “PCOS Diet Jumpstart Guide”.
Grab yours here for only $7 and take charge!
- Take the PCOS Quiz! Get your score and assess your hormone health risks.
- Join our Facebook Sisterhood Group Pose your questions to this group of like-minded women. Get the answers to your questions and the support you need.
- Checkout the Hormone Reset. Guided Practices to eliminate anxiety, lose weight and boost energy.
We are committed to helping women reverse their symptoms of hormone imbalance – a major cause of excess weight gain, adult acne, unwanted facial hair, depression, anxiety, and heartbreaking female infertility.
©Insulite Health empowers women with hormone imbalance to transform their lives through a process of healing with the Natural Hormone Solution –a complete solution for helping women reverse the symptoms hormone imbalance..