By: Lindsay Chandler, PCOS Food Advocate
Collagen seems to be a hot topic these days. You may have seen advertisements on social media sites, your friends may have mentioned it or have come across it in a recipe from one of your favorite food bloggers or health gurus. But is collagen all its hyped up to be? What rare the real benefits to including it in your diet?
Collagen is a form of protein, amino acids to be exact, that are naturally produced in the body. Theses amino acids make up about 30% of the protein in the body and are responsible for the connective tissue; like the elasticity of our skin and the health of our ligaments and joints.
Collagen can be derived from different animal sources and at different grade levels. Collagen can be found in bone broths and is also a form of gelatin. Collagen peptides, which are included in protein powders, are the easiest form of collagen to digest. Our Power Paleo Protein Powder contains 70% collagen and so amazing for our skin, hair and joints.
Collagen is an important addition to our diet, especially for women as we age. It has been found that we naturally decrease the production of collagen in the body beginning around age 30, and this decreased production accelerates around age 40.
Taking collagen as a supplement can help replace the collagen that is not being produced in our bodies. An addition of 10 grams of collagen, one scoop of peptides or 1 serving (2 scoops) of Power Paleo Protein Powder per day is ideal for skin, bone and joint health.
Here are some simple was to include collagen in your diet:
- Bone Broth – Beef or Chicken stock made from organic grass fed animals.
- Gelatin – used as an egg replacement, to thicken smoothies or used to make gut healing gummies.
- Collagen Peptides – The easiest to digest form of collagen that can be added to warm or cold beverages.
- Power Paleo Protein Powder – use daily in a morning smoothie.
Not only is collagen beneficial for your skin, hair and nails but it also offers other health benefits. Collagen has been found to help reduce the appearance of cellulite, improve digestive health and ease joint pain.
Try to include a few forms of collagen into your diet weekly. Make a hearty soup using bone broth, start your day with a collagen-packed smoothie, or give a try at homemade gummies (these are really fun!). Collagen is definitely all it’s hyped up to be! Include it in your diet to keep you looking and feeling your best!
Tart Cherry Gummies:
- 2 cups tart cherry juice
- 1/2 cup grass fed beef gelatin
- 1/3 cup Lakanto
- pinch of sea salt
- In a saucepan add in juice.
- Slowly whisk in gelatin, Lakanto & salt.
- Turn on stove top to low and whisk until gelatin and Lakanto is completely dissolved.
- Place into silicone molds or a glass dish that has been lightly greased with coconut oil.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Wondering if the symptoms you are suffering with could be PCOS?
Click here to take the PCOS test.