Why is that? Because when you eat breakfast you are literally breaking a fast. In the morning your body is waking up and when you eat, the food signals your hormones to begin the day.
Shakes are a great breakfast for many reasons:
- They are quick and easy and most people skip breakfast because they don’t have time
- If you have to eat on the run, you’ll be able to digest them better than a regular meal
- They taste yummy and usually satisfy the pickiest people
- Breakfast sets your hormone balance for the day – if you skip a healthy breakfast your hormones will be out-of-balance for the rest of the day
- Science shows that a higher protein breakfast just makes you smarter!
- The right shake = healthier insulin balance
Here are some quick rules when making a shake
- Always add healthy protein, fat, carbohydrates and fiber
- Use coconut milk, almond milk and/or water for your base
- Add vegetables whenever possible (the more the better)
- Focus on low sugar carbs like berries and vegetables
- Use ground flax and chia seed for nice fat and fiber
Choose a healthy protein powder: read ingredients and choose one with Pea Protein or Rice-based protein and no artificial ingredients – be sure it’s non-GMO and organic.
Here are a few of my favorites (click on the links below):
Follow the rules above and you’re on your way to an amazing start to your day!