Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for hormone balance. Along with getting sun in your eyes first thing in the morning, breakfast helps to set your circadian rhythm, giving you a nice energy boost and setting the rest of your day up for success.
Sometimes, though, it’s the most difficult meal of the day. If you have a busy life, it can be very easy to skip breakfast and opt for a cup of coffee instead. This imbalances your hormones setting yourself up for an afternoon crash and trouble sleeping that night.
You’ll notice that by putting a real meal in place of coffee or skipping breakfast altogether, that you will begin to feel so much better.
Here’s how to get started.
Within an hour of waking eat breakfast. The foods to focus on are whole real foods, and organic whenever possible.
- Healthy Proteins: organic free range, grass fed meats, wild caught fish, eggs
- Healthy Fats: avocado, coconut, nuts, seeds, olives. pasture butter, ghee
- Healthy Carbohydrates: vegetables, fruit, and legumes
Grains are excluded from this list because they cause a rise in blood sugar too quickly and can interfere with healthy gut bacteria balance.
Here are some breakfast ideas to get you started:
- Leftover dinner – a perfect and easy way to have a healthy breakfast
- 2 or 3 – Egg Omelet with spinach and mushrooms
- Shake – this is my favorite because shakes are quick and easy to fix. Here are 12 Hormone Balancing Recipes to help start your day off right – click here
- Here are 2 protein powders for shake recipes – click here to learn more and purchase them
- Sausage scramble: use any ground meat, 1 lb., and add zucchini, spinach/kale/collard greens, mushrooms, etc with sea salt to taste and 1-2 tbls. sage. Sauté in skillet with 1-2 tbls coconut oil. This recipe is super quick and easy.
- Waffles or pancakes: 1 cup raw cashews, 3 tbls. coconut oil, 3 tbls. coconut flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 can coconut milk (or more for desired consistency), 3 eggs and 1/4 tsp salt. You can add 1 tbls vanilla, and 1/2 a banana for a little sweet. Make them green with a handful of spinach. Put everything in blender and blend on low until smooth. Pour into preheated waffle iron. Use heated berries like blueberries with pasture butter for the topping. No sugar needed! Watch the video here on how to make waffles
- Eggs Benedict for hormone balance: watch the video and get the recipe here
There are many more ideas but this will get you started. Let me know how you feel when you start eating a healthy breakfast.