There is nothing quite like fresh basil in the summer time. I especially love it combined with fresh tomatoes and delicious olive oil. Basil is an extraordinary herb that can help benefit our beautiful bodies in so many ways! There are 35 known species of basil today, but we are most familiar with Italian Basil. It also used in many of our favorite dishes! Holy basil, known for its hormone balancing effects, is one of the most powerful species of basil and has been used for natural medicinal purposes for centuries.
Holy basil can be used as an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antimicrobial and an adaptogen. Adaptogens help reduce stress levels by boosting immune system response, as well as by balancing hormones. Cortisol is a major factor in hormone imbalance; it can even cause inflammation in the body. Cortisol is released during times of stress, leading to an imbalance in insulin secretion. As an adaptogen, holy basil works to reduce stress and to balance cortisol levels. This helps keep insulin levels stable and has a powerful effect for women with PCOS.
Another extraordinary effect holy basil can have on women with PCOS is its ability to help reduce acne. While making changes in our beauty routine may be difficult, it is beneficial to begin removing many of the toxic chemicals found in some of our acne solutions today. By simply adding holy basil to your beauty routine, you can begin to naturally reduce the appearance of acne. Holy basil can be used internally and topically for positive affects on acne because of its powerful antimicrobial affects. Dilute 6 drops of holy basil essential to every 1 tablespoon of coconut oil as a topical solution and moisturizer.
Here are a few ways to incorporate basil into your diet:
- Italian basil can usually be found at you local supermarket. Add fresh or dried basil into homemade dressings and sauces.
- Holy basil can be purchased in supplement form from you local health food store.
- Fresh basil can be chopped and steeped along with lemon juice and ginger for a fresh tea.
- Drop a few fresh basil leaves into your morning juice or smoothie.
- Add chopped fresh basil in a salad, stir fry or dip.
Including fresh basil into your meals is such a treat especially since summer and basil season are just around the corner. Holy basil offers some huge benefits for women with PCOS and incorporating it into your diet or beauty routine could help improve some of your PCOS symptoms. What new way will you try basil this summer?
Wondering if the symptoms you are suffering with could be PCOS?
If you’re not sure, click here to take the PCOS test
- Take the PCOS Quiz! Get your score and assess your hormone health risks.
- Join our Facebook Sisterhood Group Pose your questions to this group of like-minded women. Get the answers to your questions and the support you need.
- Checkout the Hormone Reset. Guided Practices to eliminate anxiety, lose weight and boost energy.
We are committed to helping women reverse their symptoms of hormone imbalance – a major cause of excess weight gain, adult acne, unwanted facial hair, depression, anxiety, and heartbreaking female infertility.
©Insulite Health empowers women with hormone imbalance to transform their lives through a process of healing with the Natural Hormone Solution –a complete solution for helping women reverse the symptoms hormone imbalance..