We hiked to my father’s favorite creek this morning to pick watercress today up near Olancha Pass close to Mt. Whitney CA. The health benefits are amazing. It’s a close cousin to mustard greens, arugula and cabbage and contains more than 15 essential vitamins and minerals.
- More iron than spinach
- More calcium than milk
- More vitamin C than oranges
- Provides a peppery flavor from compounds that contain significant anti-cancer properties
- 312% of the daily recommended value of Vitamin K
- 64% of the daily recommended value of Vitamin A
- Contains many antioxidants
Eating watercress daily has the ability to significantly reduce DNA damage to blood cells and further to resist DNA damage caused by free radicals, according to a two-year research project at the University of Ulster.