- Eliminate Dairy! Dairy products can cause huge hormonal imbalances and will only make your PCOS symptoms worse. So, ditch all dairy for a month and see how you feel. Chances are you’ll be feeling less bloated, have better looking skin and you may lose weight. What have you got to lose? Give it a try.
- Exercise! It’s been shown to improve frequency of ovulation, body composition, insulin sensitivity cholesterol, and improve your moods – even if you DON’T lose weight! So, try to increase your physical activity and incorporate a couple of sessions of resistance training and I have no doubt that you’ll start to feel more in control of your PCOS.
- Eat in Balance! All carbohydrates will cause a spike in your insulin levels (we want to avoid this because any increase in insulin will cause an increase in your testosterone). Having healthy protein and healthy fats with your carbs will slow the rise of your insulin levels and help to keep them in check.
- Take Your Supplements! Women with PCOS tend to be deficient in a number of key vitamins and supplements and adding them back in can make all the difference. Learn more here about the nutrients that are so beneficial for reducing and eliminating the symptoms of PCOS.
- Give Up Gluten! It sounds harder than it is. Most, if not all, women with PCOS are gluten intolerant, leading to inflammation (something we already have as a result of PCOS), and poor nutrient absorption leaving us anemic and fatigued. Inflammation also leads to insulin resistance which will only make our symptoms worse. So, I dare you to give up gluten for 1 month and see how you feel.
The Insulite Health interview with Tarryn Poulton of pcosdietsupport.com this month was powerful. Tarryn is a rock star in the PCOS world. There were so many important nuggets, and here are a few to make it easy…
(Adapted from Inspiration Hour and an article by Tarryn Poulton, pcosdietsupport.com)