Welcome to Food Friday! This week’s PCOS Friendly recipe is:
Rosemary Roast Chicken
Active time: 15 mins
Total time: 3 hrs
- 8 pounds whole chicken
- 1 lemon
- 1 bunch rosemary
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt, plus more to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
*Always use organic and unsweetened ingredients whenever possible.
- The night before, remove chicken from freezer and defrost in a sink or large bowl of cool water.
- 1 hour before dinner, preheat the oven to 375F.
- Remove chicken from package, remove giblet bag from chicken cavity, rinse well, and pat dry.
- Place chicken in a shallow baking dish with legs under.
- Slice lemon in half and shove the halves and half of the rosemary into the chicken cavity.
- Rub the softened oil over chicken skin.
- Chop the remaining rosemary. Sprinkle chicken generously with sea salt, pepper and rosemary.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then using tongs and/or potholders, gently flip the chicken so that the legs are up.
- Sprinkle the flip side of the chicken with the rest of the rosemary and additional salt and pepper, and bake for a total time of 20 minutes per pound. The chicken is done when a meat thermometer inserted into the leg or inner thigh (avoiding the bone) reads 165F and the skin is nicely browned and crisp.
This recipe fits perfectly with Element #2, Food As Medicine, of our PCOS-5 Element System. Wishing you a delicious weekend!