By: Lindsay Chandler, PCOS Food Advocate
What we eat and drink has a HUGE impact on our hormones.
Lemons are a simple, nourishing fruit with incredible healing properties to balance your hormones.
Drinking hot water and lemon juice first thing in the morning is a powerful digestive tonic and a great way to jump-start your day.
It can help improve skin health, digestive health, and be a solid boost for the immune system.
This warming beverage hydrates and detoxifies the body, lubricating the digestive tract and flushing out toxins from the day before.
Warm water itself is extremely nourishing, especially first thing in the morning. The lemon gives an added boost of Vitamin C that helps keep your skin glowing and immune system rocking.
Lemons also help regulate glucose levels and may even improve insulin resistance. Though they are naturally acidic, they become alkaline when digested helping maintain your body’s pH balance.
Take this time to nourish yourself first thing in the morning.
It makes it SO much easier to stay energized throughout the day, make good food choices and avoid afternoon crashes or late night sugar cravings.
Here are some other simple, yummy ways to incorporate lemon into your diet:
- Squeeze lemon over cooked greens or veggies — this will help with iron absorption, SO important for vegetarians.
- Keep frozen cubes of lemon juice in your freezer to add to soups, stews or hot water.
- Add sliced lemons to the roasting pan of chicken or fish.
- Juice fresh lemons for dressings or marinades.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lemon to sautéed apples, cinnamon, and coconut oil. YUM!
Lemon juice as a contraceptive?
“Lemon juice has been used by Mediterranean women as their main method of contraception. In the Nigerian traditional society, women of childbearing age are advised against the intake of lemon if they want to conceive because it is believed to have contraceptive effect.” 1
These facts prompted a study to determine the hormonal impact of lemon juice, and it was discovered that it does lower FSH and LH, but does not have an impact on progesterone, testosterone and estrogen. This may suggest the possible mechanism of contraception.
As we make dietary changes to heal from the symptoms of PCOS, we begin to notice how certain foods affect us more and more.
We develop confidence in our choices and a greater understanding of what to bring in and leave out. It gets easier over time — we begin to enjoy food, eating, and our bodies SO much more.
You deserve it ALL!
1 Ref: https://www.ajol.info/index.php/jophas/article/view/63459
- Take the PCOS Quiz! Get your score and assess your hormone health risks.
- Join our Facebook Sisterhood Group Pose your questions to this group of like-minded women. Get the answers to your questions and the support you need.
- Checkout the Hormone Reset. Guided Practices to eliminate anxiety, lose weight and boost energy.
We are committed to helping women reverse their symptoms of hormone imbalance – a major cause of excess weight gain, adult acne, unwanted facial hair, depression, anxiety, and heartbreaking female infertility.
©Insulite Health empowers women with hormone imbalance to transform their lives through a process of healing with the Natural Hormone Solution –a complete solution for helping women reverse the symptoms hormone imbalance..