By: Lindsay Chandler, PCOS Food Advocate
What we eat and drink has a HUGE impact on our hormones.
Lemons are a simple, nourishing fruit with incredible healing properties to balance your hormones.
Drinking hot water and lemon juice first thing in the morning is a powerful digestive tonic and a great way to jump-start your day.
This warming beverage hydrates and detoxifies the body, lubricating the digestive tract and flushing out toxins from the day before.
Warm water itself is extremely nourishing, especially first thing in the morning. The lemon gives an added boost of Vitamin C that helps keep your skin glowing and immune system rocking.
Lemons also help regulate glucose levels and may even improve insulin resistance. Though they are naturally acidic, they become alkaline when digested helping maintain your bodies’ PH balance.
Take this time to nourish yourself first thing in the morning!
It makes it SO much easier to stay energized throughout the day, make good food choices and avoid afternoon crashes or late night sugar cravings.
Here are some other simple, yummy ways to incorporate lemon into your diet:
- Squeeze lemon over cooked greens or veggies — this will help with iron absorption, SO important for vegetarians.
- Keep frozen cubes of lemon juice in your freezer to add to soups, stews or hot water.
- Add sliced lemons to the roasting pan of chicken or fish.
- Juice fresh lemons for dressings or marinades.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lemon to sautéed apples, cinnamon, and coconut oil. YUM!
As we make dietary changes to heal from the symptoms of PCOS, we begin to notice how certain foods affect us more and more.
We develop confidence in our choices and a greater understanding of what to bring in and leave out. It gets easier over time — we begin to enjoy food, eating, and our bodies SO much more.
You deserve it ALL!